YouTube’s Top Trending Games of July
It’s relatively straight-forward to look up what games are selling, but how do you compare the popularity of something like the free-to-play World of Warships with the episodic adventure Life is Strange? To answer this and life’s other difficult questions, we turn to YouTube’s Trending Games Chart which measures games that are growing in 1) watch time and 2) creators making content about that game. The top 10 trending games for July are …
- Rocket League – Rocket League is like the song of the summer, but for gaming.
- Life Is Strange – Episode 4 was released at the end of July.
- Terraria – A major update added new items, characters, bosses, and events.
- Godzilla – The newest Godzilla game arrived in the U.S. this fall.
- NBA 2K16 – Details and footage building hype for this game’s September release.
- God of War III – A new remaster hit the PS4 this month.
- World of Warships – Just launched in open beta.
- Rory McIlroy PGA Tour – The July release coincided with the 2015 Open Championship.
- Path of Exile – The Awakening, Path of Exile’s third expansion, was just released.
- J-Stars Victory VS – The manga all-stars fighting game is now available in the U.S
Not only are Rocket League and Life Is Strange the #1 and #2 games of July, they are also the only games on the chart that aren’t established franchises that have been around for years. For Rocket League, more highlights of insane goals, last-second saves, and just plain luck are going up every hour. Life Is Strange has shown up on this list every time a new episode comes out, but episode 4 has been a real breakout and prompted about twice as many YouTube searches as any previous episode.
Life Is Strange seems to trend every time a new episode is released, but will Rocket League continue to grow? Check back in next month, and we’ll all find out together. Until then, Rocket League?
Door: — Jeff Rubin